Thursday, July 26, 2007

My "While You Were Out" Experience

One thing that I have learned to enjoy is to watch my kids' cable tv channels when we go to visit and their favorite home improvement shows. It is amazing to me how people can go into a home and with sometimes minimal decorating savvy, transform the ordinary to something truly amazing. I am not a decorator, never will be, and don't have desires to become one! I have always just loved having things that people have given me or I happen to like when I see them around my house and on my walls. I am a firm believer that what makes a house a "home" is the love inside, not how fancy or up to date the decor is. But, having said that, I have watched my children with their homes create beautiful colors schemes and fashion decor that equal or go beyond any professional make-over tv show I've ever seen. And most important, the atmosphere maintains the love and comfort of a "home". My children are incredible! They must have picked up on some comments I've said here and there about how I just might like to maybe consider changing some things around and do something a little different in my living room. And I'm sure they've experienced first hand the challenging space of my kitchen when all of us get together, not to mention listening to my frustrating comments about it.

Now here's the exciting part! When Dale and I were spending an unforgettable week in Hawaii when Collette graduated the end of June, my children put into action a plan they had been talking about for sometime. Keeping Dale apprised of their secret mission, they did their extraordinary magic in the house "while we were out!" that week. Sarah Nanine came and spent the week working so hard on so many projects. The young single adults from the church branch that Dale and I work with were recruited to come and spend an evening painting walls and stripping down kitchen cupboards. Some of the cynical guys kept challenging the green color that the living room was being painting, reminding Sarah frequently that Dale would definitely NOT like it! Sarah took pictures of the curtains, lamps, and wall hangings and worked with every one's opinion via the computer about what looked they liked or didn't like. She labored long hours white-washing the fireplace and stripping down and refurnishing all the kitchen cabinets. Her sister Wendy came and helped some and watched Sarah's three boys when she could. Well, to make this I-could-spend-hours-telling-this-story short...I did not have a clue as to what transpired in my home the week we were gone. When Jef, Sarah, and the boys brought our car to the airport when we arrived home in Boise, they seemed a little hesitant to talk extensively about the week and I noticed that the boys weren't really saying much either! Found out later that Sarah persuaded them strongly to not give away the fact that they were at Grandma's house for the week when asked how their week went! Sarah gave me some pillows before we left that were in a garbage bag, just casually mentioning that she found me some couch pillows. I didn't even think to look at them at the time because when we find things we know the other person likes at a thrift store, we usually just get them for each other. When we arrived home and before we entered the house, Dale just threw out the comment..."Oh, by the way, you'll notice some things different in the house." Nothing really registered yet, as I was tired with jet lag and the reality of our wonderful week in Hawaii being over. Walking in the piano room, my eye did catch all the old living room couch pillows on a chair and then I looked at the pillows that Sarah gave me as I walked up the stairs, wondering why they were all a soft lime green color.... Words still cannot describe the feelings I had when I looked at my brand new living room that had been painted, refurnished with a new couch and chairs, new accessories, etc. All I could do was cry and look around spellbound and mutter how....why....when....wow....wow! He had to steer me into the kitchen to see the cabinets and then came the flood again. So many emotions were going through my head and as Dale filled me in on the how...why...when...I was overcome with such gratitude and deep love for my children, their sacrifice, and unselfish gift to me. Details of course followed as I talked to Sarah and I hope that she will add her story and pictures on the blog. A week later, some kitchen cabinets were taken out to open up and brighten the kitchen area. It was a true defining moment...getting rid of some dishes and things.
Something worth mentioning as I close this lengthy, but so special to me, story... I still have a picture that was my Dad's, a nick knack shelf that was my Grandmother's, a clock that my brother made for me, and all the pictures of my grand kids still incorporated in my new decor because my family just knew that they were important to me and I thank them. I truly have a great and loving family!(not to mention talented, creative, and a knack for the amazing!)

BEFORE


AFTER

9 comments:

Sarah said...

I could tell you about all the wild parties I had at your house "while you were out" but that would take away all the fun. I had sooo much fun at your house, I was sad to not be there to see your reaction, but the wordless sniffle full phone call was good enough for me. It is still a work in progress I am still looking for some more things to go into the room and getting the words done for the wall. We love you!!!

Alisa said...

Where's the pictures?!?!?!

Jef said...

pictures added...

Collette said...

I LOVE GREEN!!!!

Linda Clark said...

Thanks for adding the before and after shots. I have had so many wonderful positive comments about the beauty of the rooms. Thanks again to my terrific family!

Chad said...

terrific family? who is she talking about?

Mary Clark said...

im glad you are so happy with your new living room and kitchen. We want you to know that we will do anything for you to make your life happy. Im glad to have you as a mother in law.

Dad said...

someday Chad, you will get to meet the 'other' family.

Audrey said...

What a fun thing to do for Linda, and Linda, you are so lucky to have a family that loves you. What a great job! I absolutely love the photo frames on ribbons. Very very stylish!