Sunday, August 19, 2007

Things gleaned from remembering President Faust

I loved President James E. Faust, who recently passed away. As many of you know, he was a counselor in the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was a surprise to me that he died because I guess I have been so busy that I didn't even hear any news that he was that ill. I knew he had problems with his back, but not serious enough to take his life. I watched the funeral services for President Faust on KBYU from the historical tabernacle on Temple Square in Salt Lake City this past Tuesday. I gleaned rich treasures of insight from the life of this great man and just wanted to share a couple of things the Spirit witnessed to me. The music was provided by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and I was so touched by every song and was delighted that the three they performed are favorites of mine. They opened the services with the song, "He That Hath Clean Hands"(the signature song for Jesse Evans Smith) which describes James E. Faust to a tee. I will always remember his integrity from now on when I hear that song. I always want to have clean hands, a pure heart, a soul that is not lifted up to vanity, and never swear deceitfully...just like President Faust. Mid-way they sang another favorite of mine, "O Divine Redeemer", which reminded me of the pure and powerful testimony and witness President Faust bore of His Savior many times in his apostolic calling. The closing song was "This Is The Christ". Just recently I accompanied our Stake Relief Society Chorus as we sang this for stake conference. I again felt the love and spirit of this beautiful song. Elder Boyd K. Packer mentioned that the text of this song was written by James E. Faust. I never knew that and I was amazed because I have loved the powerful message of this song for so long.
I loved the account given by Marcus Faust, a son, of the time when his father called the family all together when Pres. Faust was called as a counselor in the First President. He told them he could not magnify this new calling unless he first magnified his calling as husband and father because he would never be released from that calling. That touched me and taught me again the importance of families, priorities, and the support we all need from our families when we serve in the Church. President Monson gave some counsel and words of encouragement directly to Pres. Faust's children and grandchildren. And I want to add the same wish to my precious children and grandchildren from the same message. President Monson said the best way for President Faust's children and grandchildren to honor their father was to remember this scripture as if "Jim" were saying it to them... from the New Testament - 3 John verse 4: "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth."
It was thrilling to listen to the eloquent words of love and praise President Hinckley gave his counselor and friend. My soul was so touched when he called President Faust's talk on Forgiveness at General Conference a masterpiece. That was a powerful address and one that I have read and taught from many times. Pres. Hinckley said that posterity was President Faust's greatest treasure. I pondered about that and want to say, too, that my posterity is my greatest treasure.
It was poignant to witness at the very end of the service President Hinckley and the Apostles that were in attendance form two lines on both sides of the tabernacle as the casket and family passed through to the outside. There was such love and reverence expressed.
I came away from this experience full of gratitude for the life of James E. Faust. My testimony of the Savior's love for this man and for all of His servants in His Church was strengthened. I felt much love and appreciation for my wonderful family. May you all know how much I love you and hope you will always remember these few things I've mentioned here. Thank you for being a support to me.

5 comments:

Alisa said...

Thank you for your beautiful and eloquent words. I love to hear your testimony, it helps me tremendously. I too loved Pres. Faust and he will be greatly missed.

Sarah said...

beautiful

Chad said...

he was an awesome man.....he will be missed for sure

Audrey said...

I loved your words. and thank you for sharing the counsel given of fulfilling our callings of parents as we fulfil other church callings.

Melissa said...

Thank you so much for your sweet words. I am one of Pres. Faust's granddaughters, a daughter of his oldest daughter, Janna Coombs. Tonight I was searching online for something related to my grandfather's talk on forgiveness and fell upon your blog. Your words have filled me up. Thank you for taking the time to talk about him and express your love. It moved me to tears.